August 31, 2014
TODAY AT CHRIST THE REDEEMER
TODAY WE WELCOME the Rev. Jim Pocock as our guest preacher. Jim, who attends Christ the Redeemer, is Counselor to the President at Gordon College. He has also pastored three churches in Connecticut, California, and Massachusetts.
IMPORTANT ON STREET PARKING INFORMATION: At a recent meeting with planning and traffic personnel from Danvers we discussed concerns regarding the current on street parking situation on Elliott Street. We also learned that the town is considering future modification to the shoulder areas designated for on street parking to make them wider and safer. As they study the current Sunday morning traffic volume and parking patterns they have asked that Christ the Redeemer attendees ONLY PARK their vehicles on the westbound side (towards Rte. 128) on Elliott Street and NOT on the eastbound (towards Beverly) side. Please see the parking map for our designated parking areas. Thank you for your cooperation; we greatly appreciate those who park on Elliott Street to leave room in our lot for those needing to park closer to the building.
CHILDREN’S MINISTRY ON SUNDAY MORNINGS
at the 10:30 AM
(if it’s your child’s first time, a parent or guardian must attend with their child
in order to register and provide vital health and contact information):
- Nursery: Care is provided for children ages 0-3 in the nursery during the service.
- Catechesis of the Good Shepherd: Children ages 3-5 follow the cross to the left during the singing of the Gloria and go to the Sheepfold; they return at the offertory.
- Christ’s Lambs Liturgy: All registered children ages 6+ are invited to their own liturgy during the 10:30 AM service. Children follow the cross to the right during the singing of the Gloria for their own Liturgy of the Word (music, scripture, homily, prayer, confession, the peace, snacks, and fun activity) and return at the offertory. Registration forms are at the entrances and on the Welcome Table in the Parish Hall.
- During services the Retreat Room (in the back of the church) is provided for you to use with a restless child. From there you can see and hear the service.
HEALING PRAYER: Teams are available after the 10:30 service, following the postlude. One team prays at the altar on the left side; another team (including a priest) is available in the library (off the front lobby).
SACRISTY ACCESSIBILITY: A new policy has been put in place regarding the sacristy (the room behind the altar where clergy and lay ministers robe and prepare for the worship services). In order to prepare their hearts for worship, the door to the sacristy will be closed 15 minutes prior to each service! If you need to talk to a clergy member or lay minister serving any given day, please wait until AFTER the service. Thank you!
REMINDER: Please do not bring coffee or other refreshments into the church, and please do not take flash photos during worship services. Thank you.
ACTS 2:42 SMALL GROUPS REGISTRATION is underway! Join one of many small groups forming in a variety of towns serving as home to Christ the Redeemer parishioners. Beginning in mid-September, groups will meet weekly-ish or monthly. Let us know your preference and availability by filling out a KNOCK, KNOCK card located at each doorway. Place your registration card in the offering plate or in the ACTS 2:42 boxes. You may also choose to register online by visiting www.ctr-anglican.org and following the links Parish Life/Small Groups to the online registration site. We hope to have a least one group that will serve families with children. Space is limited to keep groups smaller, so please register immediately to allow for geographic placement and choice of meeting night as far as possible. Experience life in community as the model of the early church in Acts 2:42.
THE CONNECTION debuts this fall with a welcoming Christ the Redeemer parishioner poised to meet and greet newcomers before and after each service in the front lobby (Elliott Street). It’s easy. Arrive 10-15 minutes before your favorite service to greet friends and unfamiliar faces. Be available in the same spot after the service, as soon as the Postlude begins, to say hello to new faces who might feel a bit invisible. Something simple like, “We’re glad you came; hope you’ll join us again…” Welcome cards will be available. You would serve on a rotating basis with three or four others from the same service. Jump on board with WORD & SACRAMENT to WORSHP & SERVE! It’s a way to worship at one service and serve at another. If you would like to serve in this area or want more info, contact JoAnn (978-774-3163).
THIS WEEK AT CHRIST THE REDEEMER
THE CHURCH OFFICE WILL BE CLOSED tomorrow, Monday, September 1 for Labor Day.
BAND OF BROTHERS,will not meet this week; they’re taking a break for Labor Day. This group, for Christ the Redeemer men in their 20s and 30s, meets weekly on Monday nights at 7:00 PM for fellowship, Bible study, and prayer. Contact Preston Conger (email) for more information.
FIRST TUESDAY PRAYER: Our next meeting is Tuesday, September 2, 10:00-11:30 AM, in the sacristy. We will come before our Lord Jesus crying out in prayer for our persecuted Christian brothers and sisters in Iraq, Syria, and beyond. To this very hour, we go hungry and thirsty, we are in rags, we are brutally treated, we are homeless….When we are persecuted, we endure it (1 Corinthians 4:11-12). Please join us for worship, prayer and the word for our churches, country, Israel and the Middle East following Intercessors for America’s monthly prayer points. For more information, please contact Linda Preston (email).
TUESDAY BIBLE STUDY meets in the sacristy Tuesdays, 7:00-9:00 PM. For more information, please call Richard Thorndike (978-922-3618).
: God gives us gifts with which to serve him; use your musical talents by participating with Christ the Redeemer music ensembles. New members welcome!
- Choir of Christ the Redeemer, for adults and high school students, rehearses in the Church, 7:15-9:15 PM, Thursdays starting August 28. Child care can be available if needed. The choir will sing the later service most Sundays, September 7 through Trinity Sunday in May, as well as special services such as Choral Evensong, All Souls, Christmas Eve, Christmas Lessons & Carols, Ash Wednesday, and the Holy Week Triduum. Contact Minister of Music Dan McKinley (978-774-3163x353; email).
- Children’s Choirs (grades 1-8), starting Wednesday, September 10, 4:00 PM. Contact Dan McKinley or Cyndi Kreyling (email).
TAKE TO THE SEAS FOR THE SOUTH SUDANESE: Join in and kayak with your friends as we raise money for the Anglican Relief and Development Fund. We invite you to mark Saturday, September 6, 10:00 AM–2:00 PM, for kayaking (or relaxing in the park while waiting for a kayaker), food, and a demonstration of how dirty water can be efficiently transformed into clean drinking water. A limited number of kayaks will be available if you need one. For arrangements, and to sign up for this event, please contact Phil Jamieson (email, 978-518-2855) right away.
NEW WORSHIP SCHEDULE BEGINS SUNDAY, SEPTEMBER 7
NEW CHILDREN’S MINISTRY SCHEDULE BEGINS SUNDAY, SEPTEMBER 7
- 7:45 AM — Holy Eucharist with traditional language (currently our 8:00 AM service).
- 9:00 AM — Holy Eucharist with more contemporary music; nursery care for infants; children’s ministry during the sermon.
- 9:00 AM — Adult Formation in the Parish Hall; light refreshments
- 10:00AM – Hospitality in the Parish Hall; light refreshments
- 10:00 AM — Catechesis of the Good Shepherd for children 3+
- 11:00 AM — Holy Eucharist with Choir (currently our 10:30 AM service); nursery care for infants; children 3+ leave at Gloria for Catechesis of the Good Shepherd
- 12:30 PM — Fellowship lunch in the Parish Hall
: If it’s your child’s first time, a parent or guardian must attend with your child to register and provide vital health and contact information.
- Nursery: Care is provided for children ages 0-3 in the nursery during the 9:00 and 11:00 AM services.
- Catechesis of the Good Shepherd: Offered to children ages 3-12 during the 9:00 and 11:00 AM services, and the 10:00 AM Children’s Formation Hour.
- 9:00 AM — During the sermon, children of all ages are invited to gather in the Baptistery for a time of prayer, scripture, and song.
- 10:00 AM — Children’s Formation Hour: Children ages 3-5 and 9-12 meet in the Sheepfold. Children ages 6-8 meet on the Parish Hall stage.
- 11:00 AM — At the singing of the Gloria, children depart for Catechesis in procession, following the Cross. Children ages 3-5 go left to the Sheepfold; children ages 6+ go right to the Parish Hall. They return during the Offertory for Holy Communion.
- During services the Retreat Room (in the back of the church) is provided for you to use with a restless child. From there you can see and hear the service.
returns starting Sunday, September 7
, following the 11:00 AM service. We’ve made some changes (following). Contribute to the needs of the saints and seek to show hospitality
(Romans 12:13). We’re recruiting new members as we begin the fall season and WE NEED YOU
! Make new friends as you share a common task in the kitchen. We have different levels of commitment:
- Clean-up after the noon meal — 2 hours every 2 or 3 weeks
- Prep (chopping vegetables) and serving — 1 hour before the meal (variable) and 1 hour serving during the meal every 2 or 3 weeks
- Assistant cook — 2 hours Saturday and 2-3 hours Sunday, once every 4-6 weeks.
- We will continue to need sandwich makers for Sandwich Sunday (1st Sunday of the month) and, new this year, soup makers (note: we’ll provide the recipes) for Soup and Salad Sunday (3rd Sunday of the month).
If you can help in any of these ways, please contact Allegra (email; 978-927-6832).
ANNUAL MEETING: The Annual Meeting of Christ the Redeemer will take place in the church on Sunday, September 7 at 1:15 PM.
MEN’S FELLOWSHIP BREAKFAST: Our next breakfast gathering will take place Saturday, September 13, 8:30-10:30 AM in the Parish Hall. Scott Sterner will lead a discussion on Being God’s Stewards. If you can bring a breakfast entrée or side, please contact David Greening (email).
WOMEN’S BIBLE STUDY: Starting September 18, join us on Thursdays at 10:00 AM. This fall Carol Powers is leading a study on “Women in Scripture.” Soak in scripture and see that as women we are His beloved, His delight, and His daughters. Hear God’s calling and purpose for you in the home, in the church, and in the world. Join us for fellowship, refreshments, scripture study, discussion, and shared prayer. Contact Carol (email) or Kim Ober (email) with questions or to request materials.
MEMBERSHIP CLASS: Our next class will take place on Saturday, September 20, 9:00 AM–12:00 noon. If you would like to learn more about this opportunity, please contact Fr. Tim (email) or Fr. Malcolm (email).
FAMILY PROMISE NEEDS: Two of our Family Promise guests are in desperate need for apartments (their stories are on the Mission Board in the Parish Hall). If you’ve volunteered for one of our Family Promise weeks you know these lovely families and how hard they are working to better their lives. If you know of housing, contact Kathy Bourgault (email) for more info. If you would like to volunteer for Family Promise, sign up for training and help out during our upcoming week, September 21-28.
MARK YOUR CALENDARS NOW for the HOW TO HEAR GOD'S VOICE healing conference, taking place October 3 & 4 with Dr. Mark Virkler. Register before September 1 at the reduced rate of $65. Registration fee includes lunch and materials.
URGENT: If you have borrowed dishes, glasses, or serving utensils from the kitchen, please return them immediately. We are in desperate need of them. Thank you!
NURSERY CARE PAID POSITION: Christ the Redeemer is looking for someone to work in the nursery on Sunday mornings from 8:45 AM – 12:15 PM to provide child care for both the 9:00 AM and 11:00 AM services, as well as for the hour between the services. The position can be split between two people. If you are interested or know of someone who is, please contact Jean Sword (email; 978-473-9587). You must be over 18 years old and be CORI/SORI approved by the state.
NURSERY VOLUNTEERS NEEDED: Volunteers are needed during the 9:00 AM and 11:00 AM services to provide childcare in our nursery one Sunday per month. Please consider working in the nursery during the hour that you will not be attending a service. If you are interested, please contact Jean Sword (email; 978-473-9587). Volunteers should be 16+ in age.
PASTORAL COUNSELING: Christ The Redeemer now offers confidential pastoral counseling to individuals, couples, and families in our parish. For more information, please contact Heather Thornburg (email; 978-774-3163 ext. 357).
IMMEDIATE HOUSING NEED
for male Gordon-Conwell alumnus. If you have a room for let, a house share, or studio available please contact Peter (781-941-0618).
ROOM AVAILABLE in a Beverly house with a Christian female professional. Quiet neighborhood with on-street parking, walking distance to train. Share common areas, including porch and deck. $550/month includes utilities. Contact Ali (email).
HOUSING NEED: Woman looking for an inexpensive, small, nice apartment or studio apartment in this area. Please call Ann (978-327-9898).
CAR NEEDED: If you have a car you can loan to one of our parishioners, please contact Sarah MacGregor (email).
HAVE A USED CAR? A Boston Fellow needs basic transportation for the coming year, as a loan or a good buy. Contact Kelly (email; 978-828-7265).
MEMORIAL LIBRARY FUND: We are accepting special donations for a Greg Russo Memorial Library, as a way of honoring Greg’s ministry to us in helping get a CTR library started and healthy.
SERMONS AND ADULT FORMATION PRESENTATIONS: Did you know that you can listen to sermons and adult formation presentations and view visuals on our website? For example, all three weeks of the audio and visuals for Fr. Ray’s recent series on Preparing for the Prince of Peace: Forgiveness, Reconciliation, and Restoration are available here. This page contains sermons and presentations from the last ten weeks. This page also has a link to earlier sermons and presentations here.
PHOTOS FOR THE WEBSITE: We’re always in search of photos for our website that display the rich variety of ministries and activities taking place at Christ the Redeemer. Please capture photos that show your ministry in action and email them to our webmaster, Susan Russo, but please do not take flash photos during worship services.
IN THE EVENT OF A FIRE ALARM SOUNDING
- Proceed in an orderly manner to the nearest FIRE EXIT. Notify an usher if you need assistance.
- Proceed to the Rallying Point on the lawn in front of the Sheepfold trailer on west side of building. DO NOT GO TO YOUR CAR.
- Await further instructions in that location.
BIO-COMPOSTABLE PRODUCTS: If you are using Christ the Redeemer’s kitchen for one of your meetings, please feel free to use the bio-compostable plates, bowls, utensils, and cups that are stored under the island. They are not paper or plastic and, therefore, are better for the environment. It you have any questions, please see Karen O’Keefe.
CHRIST THE REDEEMER has a portable ramp. If you need help with stairs, inside or outside, please contact an usher and the ramp can be placed where needed.
REMINDER: Whether you are scheduling a meeting or any other event you need to contact David (email; 978-774-3163) to get it on the calendar, and to confirm that the space you’d like to use is available.
CROSSINGS DEADLINE is noon on Mondays. The office staff is happy to edit your Crossings notices; however we do not have the time to write them for you. Please help us by composing a concise draft of your announcement and include all important information: dates, time, location, etc. Thank you.
CONNECT WITH US ON FACEBOOK: